Greater New Orleans #1 for Healthcare Job Growth in USA
A recent study, using data from the U.S. Census Bureau and Bureau of Labor Statistics, has determined that Greater New Orleans is #1 for adding the most hospital employees in the country over the past decade. In July 2007, 14,400 people worked in hospitals in the metro area, compared to 25,700 in July 2017 – an increase of 78%. Ochsner Health System has the most employees, with over 16,000.
According to the website STAT, “Hospitals across the country have fueled job creation and helped slash unemployment rates significantly in the past decade.” Research by GNO, Inc. has determined that healthcare will be the top sector for job growth in the New Orleans region through 2026, with 19% projected growth.
The Top 10 Regions for Healthcare Growth (2007-2017)
1. New Orleans (78 percent)
2. Boise, Idaho (72 percent)
3. Austin, Texas (51 percent)
4. Columbus, Ohio (51 percent)
5. Bakersfield, Calif. (49 percent)
6. Grand Rapids, Mich. (47 percent)
7. Las Vegas (44 percent)
8. Sarasota, Fla.; North Port, Fla.; Bradenton, Fla. (42 percent)
9. San Jose, Calif. (37 percent)
10. Denver (37 percent)
You can read more about the study here.
You can read the GNO, Inc. Healthcare State of the Sector here.