Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at Greater New Orleans, Inc. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE M/F/D/V) offering competitive wages and benefits. NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS PLEASE.
We are currently hiring for Director of Development
Greater New Orleans, Inc. (GNO, Inc.) is the regional economic development organization for Southeast Louisiana. GNO, Inc. has been consistently ranked a Top Ten Economic Development Organization in the USA, and last year was awarded a Silver Medal for the #2 Economic Development Deal in America.
GNO, Inc.’s mission is to serve as the catalyst for wealth creation in the 10-parish region of Southeastern Louisiana. Its vision is for the Greater New Orleans region to fulfill its potential as one of the best places in the country to grow a company and raise a family.
GNO, Inc. prides itself on driving positive change in Greater New Orleans; you can read about our organization’s accomplishments here. GNO, Inc.’s approach to business development and improving the business environment are outlined here. With an annual operating budget of more than $5 million, GNO, Inc. now aspires to grow its membership base, and increase its revenues by 50% the next five years. This will allow GNO, Inc. to grow capacity, and have even more impact into the future.
In a strategic move to achieve this goal, GNO, Inc. is seeking an outstanding fundraiser to become Director of Development. The Director of Development will have the critical responsibility of initiating, nurturing and growing relationships with current and potential funders of GNO, Inc. He/she will provide philanthropic strategy, vision, and guidance, soliciting new and ongoing sources of funds, and coordinating and supporting the fundraising needs of key GNO, Inc. initiatives and programs.
The Director of Development will report to the Executive Vice President & COO, and partner closely with the President & CEO. He/she will be a key part of the senior management team, influencing GNO, Inc.’s strategy, execution and culture. The Director of Development will also interface with the GNO, Inc. Board and an existing investor base of 225+ regional companies, private foundations, and other funders.
Key Success Factors
A successful Director of Development will:
• Cultivate the existing funder base of 225+ regional companies and funders in order to retain donors and to ensure annual growth in levels of funding from current donors;
• Recruit and solicit new corporate, foundation, and individual funders in order to meet budget targets;
• Create and implement an ambitious resource development strategy to increase revenues 50% overall to accommodate organizational growth;
• Support the President & CEO, Executive Vice President & COO, and other team members in donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship efforts; and
• Coordinate development activities among all GNO, Inc. team members, including finance, business development, public relations/communications, and program development and events.
The Director of Development will be responsible for:
• Managing a portfolio of high-level corporate and foundation donors and prospects.
• Cultivating, stewarding and increasing giving among various sectors of donors and prospects through relationship building and effective donor management.
• Building and executing a comprehensive corporate giving program, in collaboration with other team members including President & CEO, Executive Vice President & COO, Chief of Staff, Senior Vice President of Finance and Administration and the Public Relations and Communications team.
• Working closely with Executive Vice President, oversee and coordinate the corporate and foundation grant process, including preparing grant proposals and stewardship reports as necessary for corporate and foundation grant funders.
• Developing and maintaining a donor stewardship and recognition program.
• Researching public and private grant agencies and foundations to identify new potential sources of funding.
• Developing and managing the annual fundraising plan, calendar, and budget for corporate and foundation grants including benchmarking and forecasting of revenues.
• Maintaining an accurate and robust donor and prospect record management structure within GNO, Inc. database management system, Salesforce, and coordinating with other members of the team on reporting and contact management.
• Supporting, as necessary, other GNO, Inc. activities including, but not limited to, special events, public speaking/media requests, and gift processing.
• Performing other duties as assigned to meet the needs of GNO, Inc.
Education: Bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience: At least 5 years of direct experience in fundraising, preferably working in corporate and/or foundation relations. Demonstrated success in raising philanthropic and/or membership revenues from individuals and corporations, developing strong relationships with donors and prospects, identifying new philanthropic revenue opportunities, and securing corporate and foundation support through grant proposal writing. Some supervisory experience is preferred.
Skills and Capabilities:
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes:
• Demonstrated success in relationship management and the ability to grow a donor base and giving levels.
• Ability to work independently and make intelligent decisions based on the information provided.
• Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
• Ability to produce accurate work while meeting deadlines, with extraordinary attention to detail.
• Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills.
• Ability to work in a team-oriented, goals-driven organization that emphasizes a friendly culture and ownership of work responsibilities.
• Experience in maintaining and using Salesforce or other fundraising database management systems.
• Intermediate to advanced-level knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
Allowable Substitutions: A combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be considered in lieu of education and/or experience at GNO, Inc.’s discretion.
Compensation commensurate with experience; generous benefit package available; could include performance bonuses.
* * *
Greater New Orleans, Inc. believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to the success of the company; that contribution should not be limited by the work identified, assigned tasks, and overall responsibilities. Each employee is expected to offer his/her talents, expertise, and services whenever necessary to ensure the achievement of organization goals.